Built entirely of wook in 2008, the deck had become an essential part our living space - mainly as the outdoor kitchen in summer. After ten years and too little repainting, a handful of the deck boards showed signs of decay.
The original plan had been to replace the few rotten boards, and repaint. But when several of the joists underneath were found to have rotten spots too, the plan was suddenly more complicated.
The secondary plan was to replace all the deckboards with new composite boards, replace decayed joists and a few parts of the railing. Halfway through that plan, we learned that composite decking requires more joists, closer together.
So the project came to a full stop while we came up with a tertiary plan. For that we decided to go all-in, replacing everything that was even suspected to have rot, and replace everything above the frame with composite materials.
Last updated: 2019.01.17
Deck Project 2008
The deck plan was based almost exactly on the county specifications, a simple rectanglar structure attached to the house, with a short cantilever over a single row of columns.
So here are the recipes for several of my favorite pies: